Comments on: more on my failures http://www.lessig.org/2005/02/more-on-my-failures/ Blog, news, books Thu, 02 Feb 2017 18:43:00 +0000 hourly 1 http://wordpress.org/?v=3.8.2 By: blaze http://www.lessig.org/2005/02/more-on-my-failures/#comment-20909 Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:53:10 +0000 http://lessig.org/blog/2005/02/more_on_my_failures.html#comment-20909 The problem is that people often believe the 20% is false, because the other 80% is.

It’s a logical fallacy.

]]>
By: Rob http://www.lessig.org/2005/02/more-on-my-failures/#comment-20908 Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:21:47 +0000 http://lessig.org/blog/2005/02/more_on_my_failures.html#comment-20908 Mr. Orlowski, you apparently didn’t read Doonesbury very well. The subject of this run of Doonesbury is FILE SHARING (specifically music file sharing), not Creative Commons.

Oops.

Your one cited authority, Bill Thompson, said in your linked article that “I would not want an article I had written to be used by a neo-Nazi group in their newsletter, however much I was offered.” Well, to borrow a Douglas Adams formulation, is he likely to write an article that a neo-Nazi group would want to use in their newsletter? And if the neo-Nazi group in question were based in Paraguay, would American copyright protection enable him to prevent it being used? For that matter, would it prevent it being used in the U.S.? I don’t think neo-Nazi groups would be particularly respectful of laws in general; just because it’s illegal doesn’t mean it won’t happen.

I think your article does Lawrence Lessig and the Creative Commons project a tremendous disservice.

Rob Woodard
Dallas, TX, USA

]]>
By: Rob http://www.lessig.org/2005/02/more-on-my-failures/#comment-20907 Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:02:49 +0000 http://lessig.org/blog/2005/02/more_on_my_failures.html#comment-20907 Accentuate the positive:

“So Creative Commons is emblematic of how even the best of the US fails to understand how the rest of the world works.”

Hey, CC is the “best of the US”! w00t!

:)

blaze: you’re hilarious. All someone has to do to meet your standards is be right 20% of the time?

ROFL

]]>
By: blaze http://www.lessig.org/2005/02/more-on-my-failures/#comment-20906 Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:20:51 +0000 http://lessig.org/blog/2005/02/more_on_my_failures.html#comment-20906 Ok, I read some more. The guy *is* an idiot, but still.. even a broken clock is right once. In other words, just because he’s wrong 80% of the time, doesn’t mean the other 20% is wrong.

Until you get a more balanced view of what you’re trying to accomplish you will continue to attract these nay sayers.

CC is not the hammer for which the entire world is a nail – it’s a great tool, but so is strong copyright.

]]>
By: blaze http://www.lessig.org/2005/02/more-on-my-failures/#comment-20905 Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:11:27 +0000 http://lessig.org/blog/2005/02/more_on_my_failures.html#comment-20905 Lessig doesn’t understand why people in Europe care about an author’s moral rights, which are inalienable in European law. And because he doesn’t understand, he dismisses it. To an American constitutional lawyer copyright is simply an economic matter,” Thompson told us

Sounds right to me.

You know a lot of people are big fans of creative commons. It’s too bad your leftist attitudes are slowly ruining it.

If you were touting it correctly, it would be a very powerful movement and everyone would be on board. Unfortunately, you’ve got sucked (or maybe you helped create it?) the free culture nightmare.

]]>